A strong and dynamic food processing sector plays a vital role in reduction in the wastage of perishable agricultural produce, enhancing shelf life of food products,ensuring value addition to agricultural produce, diversification &commercialization of agriculture, generation of employment, enhancing income of farmers and creating surplus for the export of agro & processed foods. In the era of economic liberalization, all segments including; private,public and co-operative sectors have defined roles to play and the Ministry promotes their active participation.
The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has a clear goal of attaining these objectives by facilitating and acting as a catalyst to attract quality investments from within India and abroad into this sector with the aim of making food processing a national initiative.With this overall objective, the Ministry aims to:
- Enhance farmer's income by better utilization and value addition of agricultural produce
- Minimize wastage at all stages in the food processing chain by the development of infrastructure for storage, transportation and processing of agro-food produce;
- Introduce of modern technology into the food processing industries from both domestic and external sources;
- Encourage R&D in food processing for product and process development and improved packaging;
- Provide policy support, and support for creation of Infrastructure, capacity expansion/ Upgradation and other supportive measures form the growth of this sectors;
- Promote export of processed food products.
Roles of MOFPI
The functions of the Ministry can be broadly classified under policy support and development activities:
(i) Formulation and implementation of policies for food processing sector with overall national priorities and objectives;
(ii) Facilitating creation of a conducive environment for healthy growth of the food-processing sector.
(i) Continued emphasis on creation of World Class Infrastructure for growth of food processing sector through Mega Food Parks, Integrated Cold Chain; and Modernization of Abattoirs and also providing assistance under various Plan Schemes to food processing sector.
(ii) Widening the R & D base in food processing by involvement of various R & D institutes and supporting various R & D activities.
(iii) Human Resource Development to meet the growing requirement of managers, entrepreneurs and skilled workers in the food processing industry.
(iv) Assistance for setting up analytical and testing laboratories and active participation in the laying down of food standards and their harmonization with international standards.
(v) Continue intensive consultation with industry, academia, scientists and representatives of State Governments for smoother and inclusive growth of the sector.