1. Availability of skilled manpower has been identified as one of the major challenges of Indian Food Processing Industry. The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) is working in close collaboration with Food Industry Capacity and Skill Initiative (FICSI), the Sector Skill Council (SSC) in food processing and regularly guiding and assisting it in achieving its mandate. The Ministry is helping to strengthen the SSC in this sector by helping in all possible ways to complete the validations of the Qualification Packs (QPs) for each job role that have been developed and also helping in development of the course curriculum through National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management (NIFTEM), an institute under this ministry. The Ministry is also conducting regular meetings with all stake holders to review the progress.
2.Under Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana, MoFPI has formulated a Scheme for assisting skilling infrastructure and Development of Course curriculum with a budget outlay of Rs.27.50 Crore from 2017-18 to 2019-20.The scheme has two components:—
a. Development of Course curriculum for training modules and its translation in English Hindi and regional languages.
b. Assistance for creation of infrastructure facilities for Skill training Centers.
Guidelines of the scheme are under finalization & proposals shall be called for upon its finalization.
3. The FICSI is working on identification of job roles and competencies required for each job role so as to develop National Occupational Standards (NOS) for different sectors of food processing. Ernst & Young (E&Y) is the vendor selected by FICSI for this work. The scope of this work is to determine what skills are required in different parts of our country with respect to food processing activity being undertaken there. It shall include generic and domain specific skills and shall cover all the major sectors of food processing domain via
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Food Grain Milling(including Oil seeds)
- Dairy Products
- Meat and Poultry
- Fish& Sea Food
- Bread and Bakery
- Soya Food Processing
- Packaged Foods
(Packaging and Refrigeration/ Quality Analysis are common for all sub-sectors)
4. NIFTEM and Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology (IIFPT) are also conducting regular programmes/courses on skill development and entrepreneurship for the youth, farmers, self-help groups and industry. The Ministry of Food Processing Industries is very keen on entrepreneurship development among various groups through skilling/capacity building, outreach programmes and village adoption programme by the two institutions under this Ministry. To give fillip and to strengthen Entrepreneurship, this Ministry has included a module on Entrepreneurship in the course curriculum of all the job roles. During 2016-17 IIFPT has trained/skilled 1,300 persons and NIFTEM has trained 4,736 persons and during 2017-18 (up to June 2017) NIFTEM&IIFPT have trained 330 and 369 persons respectively.
5. The Food Industry Capacity and Skill Initiative (FICSI), the Sector Skill council (SSC) in Food processing has to develop a total of 70 QPs, out of which 55 QPs are developed. Out of 55 QPs, 44 QPs are approved by QRC, the remaining 11 QPs are complete and are to be presented to QRC for approval. The content of 5 QPs have been approved by the NSDC. 28 remaining contents have been developed and sent to NSDC for approval. The feedback for 7 of which have been received from NSDC.
6. Under PMKVY 1.0, 46 Training Partners (TPs) & 218 Training Centres (TCs) were affiliated by FICSI. Under PMKVY 2.0, 21 Training Centers have been affiliated through SMART Portal of NSDC. The first cycle of training under PMKVY was inaugurated by Hon’ble Minister, Food Processing Industries on 4thSep, 2015 in 30 centers across 11 states. FICSI had been assigned the target of 30,810 to be trained under PMKVY by March 2016. Till now 28,199 have enrolled for trainings and 22,461 have been certified under PMKVY 1.0 under PMKVY 2.0, 3308 candidates have been enrolled and 1815 have been certified till date.
For more details you may visit:-
PRADHAN MANTRI KAUSHAL VIKAS YOJNA (PMKVY)
FOOD INDUSTRY CAPACITY AND SKILL INITIATIVE (FICSI)