The Ministry of Food Processing Industries is the nodal Ministry of the Government of India for Food Processing Sector in India. In the era of economic liberalization where the private, public and co-operative sectors are to play their rightful role in development of food processing sector, the Ministry acts as a catalyst for bringing in greater investment into this sector, guiding and helping the industry in a proper direction, encouraging exports and creating a conducive environment for the healthy growth of the food processing industry. With this overall objective, the Ministry aims at:
- Better utilization and value addition of agricultural produce for enhancement of income of farmers.
- Minimizing wastage at all stages in the food processing chain by the development of infrastructure for storage, transportation and processing of agro-food produce.
- Induction of modern technology into the food processing industries from both domestic and external sources.
- To encourage R&D in food processing for product and process development and improved packaging.
- To provide policy support, promotional initiatives and physical facilities to promote value added exports.